Saturday, April 19, 2014

Artificial Pancreas, accuracy?

Would you trust the Artificial Pancreas to accurately determine your blood sugar levels? I have used two CGM systems, and both of them have given me false alarms saying I was high or low when my meter indicated I was in my comfort range. Many people have great success with a CGM, but some people do not. If the AP component that determines your BG level is not accurate, then it will give you insulin for a false high, or glucagon for a false low. Either of those actions could cause serious problems!!

http://www.diabetescare.net/flash_article.asp?id=447437&utm_source=DiabetesCare.net&utm_campaign=a3493426f7-DC_net_Weekend_Newsletter_Apr_19_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b42e0194b0-a3493426f7-393639405

4 comments:

  1. A former coworker of mine used to preach the philosophy "trust but verify". I think I'd ultimately learn to cede control over to a machine, but expect I'd keep a razor-sharp eye on what was going on. Infusion sites and CGMs can still fail, and the machine still wouldn't be able to consider what I've eaten or how I've exercised to determine if the results make sense. With that said, I fear that the AP could result in a degree of complacency, especially for younger PWDs, of which we may not be able to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you have said, Scott. My meter and pump routine is more successful than I think the AP would be. I want to control my own levels, and not depend on a new device to do it ALL.

      Delete
  2. My daughter took part in the trial at UVA. Surprisingly no one on the AP went low during the adolescent trial. There was a calibration error with her Dexcom which led to a high, but because of the alert, the AP was able to correct the high after recalibration. This particular AP uses mini boluses of insulin and no glucagon. I do not think we will ever be able to get away from at least two bg checks per day for calibration purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your daughter and others had success with the AP at UVA. I have a lot of scar tissue from 68 years of injecting and pumping, so my BG levels are unpredictable at times. I cannot trust a new device to give me the appropriate amounts of insulin when it might not be absorbed properly, if at all.

      Delete